Sunday 15 April 2012

Sunday's Gospel

John 20: 19-31

It's late Sunday evening and the kids have just gone to bed, but I had a couple of thoughts during the Gospel today.

Thomas seemed to expect a physical resurrection of Christ with the same body that was crucified....

"Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and place my fingers in the mark of the nails, and place my hands in his side I will not believe." Jn 20:25

So he wasn't expecting or hoping for some kind of ghostly being, or radiantly remade Jesus. 

I don't know what to make of that: I expect someone cleverer than me has figured something out.

Secondly: the wounds of Christ remained after the Resurrection...

Now at the last Supper Christ gave us two gifts: The Eucharist and the Church.  Being members of the Church we are part of the Body of Christ.  Though risen, Christ's body was wounded.... I'm wondering if he was also bearing the wounds and sins of the Church in his own flesh?  The wounds in Christ's flesh prove that he was the same Jesus that they had seen crucified, yet maybe through his death, and descent into hell His wounds signify and embody all that will happen to the Body of Christ in the Church?

No comments:

Post a Comment