Sunday 29 April 2012

I haven't blogged much recently.

My wife and I have been going through a discernment process with the local diocese for the Permanent Diaconate formation program.

I've got nothing witty or cute to say about this process. It was fairly exhaustive. An interview with a current deacon (where I surprised myself by bursting into tears talking about my kids! - the question was something about how I have grown in faith while having a family). A home visit from a deacon and his wife (more questions). A three hour psych test for myself, and a one hour psych test for my wife and I.

My wife and I also had a bunch of paperwork to get together - certificates of various sacraments; an affidavit that I have never been apostate, schismatic, or involved in the unlawful - or lawful -homicide of another, etc.

So it was quite the workout.

I had been excited about the diaconate before the process, now I'm nervous that the Diocese will say "No." And they could - we have three kids under high-school age.

Just to make things busier and more complicated, I got in touch with my old Theology College.  In another life I had been a Franciscan Friar for about 6 years and completed all my courses for a Masters in Theology, but that was about 20 years ago.

I hadn't got the degree because I hadn't done a thesis, and I hadn't got the thesis 'cos I left the Franciscans, and then life kinda took over.

Anyway, the College very kindly agreed to let me do a reasearch paper and qualify for an MTS. Not quite an M.Th, but not too shabby. So I've got some work to do in the next couple of months!

So pray for me that the Holy Spirit guides everyone and the right decision regarding the Diaconate is made for us all.

And let it be a "Yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment