Monday 14 May 2012

How riding a motorbike is like being a Catholic.

Learning to ride a motorbike has been a great learning experience for me.

Not only have I learned many skills, but I've also had to unlearn many pre-conceived ideas about how things work.

In the same way "being" involves both growth and letting go.

The first thing I learned: you don't keep the bike upright, the bike keeps you upright


The bike is naturally balanced, and the wheels exert a gyroscopic force that keeps the bike upright. A rider doesn't have to do any work to stay upright. In fact it is the rider that makes the bike less stable.

So relax and let the bike do the work. It will keep you upright.

Don;t believe me? There are many youtube videos that prove this.


Here the bike rights itself and the rider is able to hang on and remount the bike.

How is this like being a Catholic?

I am not in control of my life, in fact the more I try and control my life the more out of balance it becomes.

Let go and let God. It's a saying from AA (I'm not  member by the way) but it works for everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment